Communications and Public Affairs Officer
· Salary £32,825 per annum
· Full time
· Flexible working options will be supported.
· Central London Office and Hybrid working
We offer a pension scheme with employer contribution up to 10%, in addition you’ll receive 28 days holiday plus bank holidays, 24-hour access to a comprehensive employee assistance programme, cycle purchase and season ticket loan scheme and other benefits.
The Centre for Ageing Better is a charitable foundation funded by The National Lottery Community Fund and part of the government’s What Works Network
Everyone has the right to a good life as they get older and our whole society benefits when people are able to age well. But far too many people face huge barriers, and as a result are living in bad housing, dealing with poverty and poor health and made to feel invisible in their communities and society.
The Centre for Ageing Better is pioneering ways to make ageing better a reality for everyone. Its key areas of work include challenging ageism and building a nationwide Age-friendly Movement, creating Age-friendly Employment and Age-friendly Homes.
We are striving to create an organisation that reflects our society and the communities we serve. A workplace where everyone feels empowered and where diversity of background and thought is celebrated. We know there is more work to be done and are committed to continuing to improve our practice around Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion.
We very much welcome applications from minority groups and those underrepresented in our workforce. This especially includes people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, LGBT+ people, and Disabled people.
We are a Positive Action employer, therefore in recruitment where two candidates are ‘as qualified as’ each other, we will favour a candidate from any group identified as currently underrepresented in our team based on protected characteristics as outlined in the Equality Act 2010.
Communications and Public Affairs Officer – About the role
The UK is facing multiple crises with the rising cost of living and unprecedented levels of economic inactivity amongst those aged 50+. We know that work can provide financial, social and health benefits: but employment support services do not work well for those aged 50+ and many employers are lagging behind in terms of age inclusivity. We want to change that.
The Communications and Public Affairs Officer will have a pivotal role in the newly formed Research, Policy and Communications team situated in our Work Action Area. The successful candidate will take the lead on monitoring the external policy landscape and supporting the wider Work team in delivering policy messages to key stakeholders in Government, Parliament and beyond.
The successful candidate will be knowledgeable and passionate about labour market, employment and employment support issues in England. You will have good experience of communications and public affairs, including an understanding of how the policy-making process works and the role of organisations like Centre for Ageing Better in influencing change.
A skillset and understanding of how to manage stakeholder relations, reactively and proactively influence key stakeholders and how to link evidence with policy is essential. We are looking for a highly organised individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills who is comfortable supporting senior colleagues to build effective relationships with a wide range of people at different levels.
You will also be passionate about tackling the inequalities that prevent people from having a great later life.
Communications and Public Affairs Officer
Specific duties and responsibilities
Helping to deliver the Work team’s comms and influencing strategy:
• Supporting the development of the comms and influencing plan for the Work area
• Owning and socialising the Work Action Area’s key messages to ensure we have one key over-arching narrative and clear and specific sub-narratives for each workstream
Managing, mapping and tracking high-level stakeholder relationships within the Work action area.
• Leading on developing and maintaining our Work area stakeholder map: focusing on who we want to influence, how and when.
• Tracking the stakeholder interactions taking place across the team
• Holding key stakeholder relationships where appropriate and supporting senior staff with engagement
• You will focus mainly on our Whitehall and Westminster-based interactions, along with other nationally focussed organisations.
Monitoring the Employment policy landscape, and supporting rapid responses:
• Mapping the external policy landscape, and seeking proactive and reactive opportunities to influence policy decisions
• Keeping Ageing Better’s work-related policy positions up to date, and working with colleagues to update and add new positions where needed
• Leading on developing responses to relevant consultations and other policy and public affairs opportunities, drawing in senior support where appropriate
Communicating our expertise and policy asks:
• Create compelling content that communicates our work and impact including blogs and news stories for our website and social media channels
• Assist with responses to request from media outlets and journalists on Work-related topics and issues
Act in line with Ageing Better’s principles and values:
• Take personal responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the rights of older people
• Comply with our policies and procedures at all times, in particular Data Protection
• Promote and support open and effective collaboration across Ageing Better
• Carry out all duties in a professional manner and in line with our values
• Undertake any other roles or responsibilities that may be reasonably required
To apply please submit a completed Application Form in Word format (NO CVs) and Equality and Diversity Form. Please (address in your supporting statement how you meet the person specification for the role as fully as possible/answer the three competency-based questions on the application form as fully as possible) to demonstrate why you should be shortlisted for interview for this post. Failure to do so will result in your application being automatically rejected.
The closing date for this role is 11:59pm on 20/11/22, with interviews taking place on the 6th December or 9th December
Title Projects Co-Ordinator Location London Bridge – Hybrid Salary £30,000 – £35,000 Job Summary Full-time London-based Community Projects Coordinator required...View Job
Job Title: SEO Account Manager Location: London, Hybrid Salary: Competitive + Benefits Job Type: Full Time, Permanent Croud is a...View Job
Marketing Manager – Events London Our international client, with a global network of offices, provides business executives around the...View Job
Marketing Manager – Conference and Events – World Class Event Space – East London – up to £55k (DoE) *...View Job
Sponsorship Sales Manager X 3 – B2B Conferences Are you a Sponsorship Sales Manager with 2-5 years' experience in B2B...View Job
Big Thinking PR Account Execs and Senior Account Execs Wanted Our client, one of the UKs fastest-growing boutique PR agencies,...View Job